Coronavirus Social Social

coronavirus-social-narrative

Coronavirus Social Narrative.

I have been avidly following the the Coronavirus crisis and now find myself wanting to fulfill my civic duty.

I have created a FREE Coronavirus Social Narrative to help alleviate fears and anxiety many children may be experiencing at this time.

It seems inevitable now that schools will have to close in an attempt to curb the pandemic Coronavirus crisis.

I posted to my Instagram stories this morning querying if parents required a Social Narrative to help their children navigate the coming days.

I was met with a resounding yes.

I have been following Dr. Lisa Gutherie’s advices on her instagram channel where she has been providing essential advice and supports to the public.

You can find all of her Coronavirus advices here.

I have created the social narrative in a page by page format, so you the parent can include or exclude whatever information you feel is pertinent to you and your family.

It is highly probable at this juncture (11/03/2020) that schools will close so I have allocated a countdown box within the social narrative. This will help your son or daughter to understand in a concrete sense when school will reopen (if known).

Information available on the WHO website. Click on the image for further information
regarding symptoms and advice.

Update– due to the overwhelming demand for the Coronavirus Social Narrative I have updated the link with a visual to help you locate it. I am receiving a great many messages requesting a copy to be sent directly. If you click on the above “Click to download visual”, you will receive an instant download.

I hope this is helpful.

Update – Additional Translations

Russian

Ukraine

I have also been in contact with many schools around the globe this morning seeking to print off multiple copies of the aforementioned social narratives to give to students. You absolutely have my persmission to do so. Absolutely no need to request permission. It is expressly given here.

I hope you find this Social Narrative helpful.

Best wishes,

Amanda

In the meantime you can find me most consistently over on my family blog on instagram – @littlepuddins.ie .

If you require additional educational FREE RESOURCES go to my Autism Educational Resources – www.littlepuddins.ie

If you require additional Coronavirus Social Narrative please go HERE.

68 Comments

1. Barmak
    March 11, 2020 / 11:30 pm

Hi Amanda, I have a son who has ASD and severe learning difficulty and I think he would benefit from the social story. I would be very grateful if you can email me the social story.

Kind regards

March 12, 2020 / 8:16 am

Hi Barmak, you can download the FREE Printable immediately by clicking on the Download tab. Many thanks Amanda

2. Mary Chambers
    March 12, 2020 / 8:13 am

I would love one of these social stories my son has autism and bad anxiety very worried about the virus.This social story might give him a better understanding πŸ˜‰

March 12, 2020 / 8:16 am

Hi Mary, you can download the FREE Printable by clicking on the highlighted Download Tab. Many thanks Amanda.

3. Mary
    March 12, 2020 / 9:26 am

I’d love this

4. Alison McCormack
    March 12, 2020 / 11:59 am

Thanks so much this is a useful tool for passing information on to children and families

5. Daniella McGowan
    March 12, 2020 / 4:47 pm

I have a boy with asd, spd, learning difficulties, adhd, speech and language disorder and he is a ball of worry. This will help.

6. Sam
    March 12, 2020 / 5:24 pm

Thank you so much for this. Much appreciated

7. Kirstie
    March 12, 2020 / 8:31 pm

I will find this useful in my occupation

8. Kirstie
    March 12, 2020 / 8:34 pm

Please can I have access to this for work

• Kaleigh
      March 15, 2020 / 2:11 pm

Thank you for creating such a helpful tool to explain the disruption to the routine for all children.

Would you mind if I shared this via email to the families I work with?

Thank you again.

March 15, 2020 / 2:19 pm

Not at all Kayleigh. Please attach the link to the original post. Many thanks. Take care. Amanda

9. Angie Kail
    March 13, 2020 / 1:42 am

Hi, may I please get this for my adult child with ID? Thank you for putting this together.

March 13, 2020 / 11:57 am

Hi Angie, it is free to download. Click on the download visual and it will become available immediately.

Many thanks

Amanda

10. Shane
    March 13, 2020 / 1:54 am

Please send

11. Dawnda Nichols
    March 13, 2020 / 5:09 am

Social story please

12. Tetiana Kishinets
    March 13, 2020 / 5:22 am

Thank you so much! I have an 8 year old autistic son. We’ve just had a conversation about coronovirus and a posibility of school closing. As many other kids, my son does not like to brake his usual rutine, but I feel like he understands the importanse of that safeguards. I am going to use this story tomorrow in order to make sure he understands everything clearly and to prevent anxiety. I appriciate you for this opportunity!
    I also ask your permition to share your social story in a Ukrainian thematic group, so other parent can help their kids to reduce anxiety? If you do not mind I can translate this story into Ukrainian and Russian, and more people will be able to use this amazing material. I am sure they will blass you for your help.

March 13, 2020 / 11:56 am

Absolutely you have my permission.

Kind regards,

Amanda

• Kohens mum
      March 27, 2020 / 3:42 pm

Thank you so much for producing such a good quality social story and mist importantly for allowing us to access the resource for free I shall be reading this with my little man a number of times. Could I please post a picture of your cover on my school website to show other parents please.

March 27, 2020 / 4:57 pm

Absolutely you can. I hope
        The students find it helpful. Stay safe. Amanda

13. Beth Radcliff
    March 13, 2020 / 6:04 am

Is is great. Please send my way.

14. Ioana
    March 13, 2020 / 7:22 am

Amazing. Can you please share with me as well?

15. Crystal
    March 13, 2020 / 9:54 am

Please send me the social story for my 9yo and 11yo autistic daughters so they can understand what this pandanmic means and why washing your hands is even more important to due along with extra work at keeping up personal hygiene

March 13, 2020 / 11:56 am

Hi Crystal, you can download the Social Story directly from the download link visual. It is the large black box within the article which states to “click to download”.

Many thanks

Amanda

16. Emmy
    March 13, 2020 / 10:07 am

Social story please

March 13, 2020 / 11:55 am

Hi Emmy, you can download the story directly from the blog post by clicking on the download visual

Many thanks

Amanda

17. March 13, 2020 / 2:01 pm

I very much appreciate this story. Just a recommendation to include that some of their favorite places may close too and they will be unable to visit. I know this is a conversation I am not looking forward to my son. When he is “off” from school – or on a weekend day he always has a “plan” to visit aquarium or amusement park, etc. and I’m afraid if these will close he will not understand exactly why….. thank you for sharing this!!! I’m going to share on our Bacon and Juice Boxes blog page.

March 13, 2020 / 2:09 pm

Hi Jo-Ann, Many thanks for your reply. I will create an additional resource tonight to supplement this social story and will include your suggestions. Many thanks Amanda

18. Eleanor
    March 13, 2020 / 4:29 pm

Thank you so much for creating this social story. My son has fragile x syndrome and will definitley have trouble understanding all this. Thank you again!

• Cindy
      March 13, 2020 / 6:47 pm

Hello fello Fragile X Family

19. Rachael
    March 13, 2020 / 6:06 pm

Hi, Just checking – are you happy for me to share the link to this page to our ASD Family Help facebook pages as I think our parents will find this extremely useful (especially as we are making adjustments to our sessions with the children to increase handwashing and hygiene etc)?

Thanks so much
    Rachael

March 13, 2020 / 6:06 pm

Absolutely Rachael. I hope it is of help.

• Rachael Chandler
        March 13, 2020 / 6:12 pm

Thanks – I’m tagging your FB page too πŸ™‚
        It was a very useful find this evening to support our families and children as I know some will be confused as we are having to make adjustments to sessions (even why we are making them all wash their hands before they come in will be unusual to them)! x

March 13, 2020 / 6:15 pm

Thanks so much . If I can be of further assistance let me know . Stay safe.

20. Ashley
    March 14, 2020 / 3:06 am

Thank you so much! I have three kiddos w ASD and this social story will help so much. Keep healthy!

21. Donna
    March 14, 2020 / 6:44 am

Thank you so much. This is an amazing resource. My 7 yo ASD son has alot of anxiety about getting sick and dying. I think this will help him alot.

22. Tammy
    March 14, 2020 / 11:34 am

Thank you so very much for creating this social story and for providing it free to use. We really appreciate it.

March 14, 2020 / 11:36 am

Not at all. I am delighted to be of help. It would not sit well with me to charge parents, professionals and therapists for a resource so needed for children and adults with additional needs. I hope you are safe and well where you are. Amanda

23. Kathi
    March 14, 2020 / 2:54 pm

Thanks so much for the resources. The additional resources at the bottom will be put to use as well.

24. Edna monroe
    March 14, 2020 / 4:28 pm

Thanks so much for the help.

25. Raye
    March 15, 2020 / 12:00 am

Thank you very much.

26. Kaleigh
    March 15, 2020 / 2:11 pm

Would you mind if I shared this via email to the families I work with?

Thank you again.

27. Michelle
    March 15, 2020 / 4:48 pm

Thank you so much for this story. It is amazing and I look forward to sharing it with my students!

March 15, 2020 / 4:49 pm

I am delighted to be of help. It’s in these times of crisis we should all band together and try to support each other all over the world.

28. March 16, 2020 / 1:11 am

Amanda,

I thank you as a member of the Autism community and as someone who used social stories when a child to a late teen. Times like these are UNNERVING for us. Espeically those of us who are nonspeaking or are much younger. I am not only on the spectrum myself, but I also work as a floating PCA (think it of it as an oncall position). You have done a good service to both the NT (Neurotypical/ nee “normal”) and Autistic community by doing this. may it return to you threefold. I express my grattitude to you as I would have when I was much younger, by playing my piano and singing as loud as is permitted. Maybe you hear it.

29. Amy
    March 16, 2020 / 3:43 pm

Thank you so much! I teach a self-contained autism small group class and just sent this to all of my families. πŸ™‚

March 16, 2020 / 4:04 pm

You are so welcome Amy, I am delighted to be of help. I hope you are all safe and well.

Amanda

30. Sharon Acord
    March 16, 2020 / 5:59 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this information!! Our family is very appreciative and grateful.

Many blessings,
    Sharon

31. Angelica Castilla Deaton
    March 17, 2020 / 4:42 am

Thanks for the wonderful material , can I download and translate it to Spanish? I do work with Hispanic children in the spectrum, we dont have resources for this part of our community. Thanks in advance

March 17, 2020 / 6:38 am

Hi Angelica, absolutely. Please ensure all copyright credits remain attached with the document. Many thanks. I hope you are all
      Safe and well. Best wishes Amanda

32. Louise
    March 17, 2020 / 2:32 pm

Thank you so much for this. I work with parents of children with disabilities, so I’ve been looking at ways to help them with explaining this. You’ve saved me a lot of work!

March 17, 2020 / 2:33 pm

I am
      Delighted to be of help. I hope you are all safe and well.
      Amanda

33. caitlin
    March 17, 2020 / 2:48 pm

Hi Amanda,
    This is a wonderful resource thank you for creating this! You are going to help so many kiddos with this resources in these uncertain times. I read your copyrights page. I wanted to ask if it would be ok to share this on a padlet with multiple teachers? All credit and the copyright page would be included. Thanks! Stay well!

March 17, 2020 / 2:49 pm

Absolutely. Many thanks

34. Fiona
    March 17, 2020 / 4:31 pm

This is great thank you. Any chance you could create a second version for adults? Just with some adaptations to language and some of the focus?!

March 17, 2020 / 4:33 pm

Hi Fiona, will you send me an email
      with your suggestions and I can try and add an additional resource to the one already available. Many thanks Amanda

35. Alison Steiner
    March 18, 2020 / 1:02 pm

This is just what I needed to send to my families. Thank you very very very much!

36. Tayvan
    March 18, 2020 / 7:31 pm

Tayvan Stapleton

37. Kendall
    March 19, 2020 / 2:10 am

I am a pediatric SLP and I just wanted to say THANK YOU so much for this resource. It was very needed and very well done!

38. March 19, 2020 / 5:35 pm

Hi Amanda. I’m SLP from Bosnia&Hercegovina. Can i translate and share on my FB site @logopedica.ba

March 19, 2020 / 6:15 pm

Hi Zijada, absolutely but please ensure there is a link to the original post on my website with your post. Many thanks Amanda

39. Ian
    March 19, 2020 / 6:13 pm

Thank you so much for creating this.

If you have the time (and it isn’t too much trouble), is there any way you could add a page for children that are still going to school? In the UK, children with an EHCP plan are still going to school, although a lot of their friends will not be there from Monday, which may be confusing for some children. I fully understand if you can’t do this.

Stay safe.

March 19, 2020 / 6:14 pm

Hi Ian, I will update the story tonight. I’d you can, can you let me know in an email exactly what you would like it to say. I want to get it right the first time. Many thanks Amanda

40. Hana
    March 22, 2020 / 12:06 am

Thank you for sharing so much. Let me share it with my family and friends. Stayathome.

41. Jaju Mathew
    March 25, 2020 / 6:32 pm

Thanks for sharing this information.

42. Jaju Mathew
    March 25, 2020 / 6:32 pm

Thanks

43. Anna Taylor
    April 2, 2020 / 5:56 pm

This is what I’ve been looking for! I am an ABC High School teacher. My students would benefit from having a copy of this. Could I share it with my students and their parents on my Google Classroom?

April 2, 2020 / 6:06 pm

Yes absolutely. Stay safe.